MCE 2020-2021 Quickfacts and Info
Address: 3370 Bradshaw Road, Salem, VA 24153
Phone Number: 387-6530
Fax Number: 387-6995
School Office Hours: 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
School Webpage: https://www.rcps.us/MCES
School Facebook Page: The Masons Cove Elementary School Page
PTA Facebook Page: Masons Cove Elementary PTA
Principal: Amy Phelps
Secretary: Kim Hayes
Nurse: Gail Lee
Counselor: Laura Armentrout
7:45 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. (the doors will open at 7:15 a.m. for students)
The "warning" bell rings at 7:43 a.m. The tardy bell rings at 7:45 a.m. and signals the start the school day at 7:45 a.m.
Morning Car Rider Drop Off Procedures:
In an effort to maintain a safe environment, we have established guidelines for the morning car rider drop off. These guidelines are for all students, PK through 5th grade.
1. Parents should go through the car rider line to drop off their student(s).
2. Parents should stay in their vehicle throughout the car rider drop off.
3. Children being dropped off at MCE should be seated on the passenger side of the vehicle so they can safety exit the vehicle onto the sidewalk.
4. We have several staff members assigned to car duty in the morning to expedite the process.
5. School staff members will open the car doors for students.
6. Students should be ready to exit the car when the school employee opens their car door.
*Do not pull around other cars in line.
- If a parent wants to walk their child to the entrance of the school they can park in the spots closest to the playground and walk with their child to the front of the building using the side walk. Parents must stay with their child while walking to the entrance.
Due to safety risk, parents should not walk their children across the car rider line.
Any change to a student’s transportation needs to be made by 1:00 p.m. We cannot make transportation changes after this time.
Afternoon Car Rider Procedures:
1. Car riders will begin dismissal at 1:35 p.m. after the buses have left.
2. Cars should have the student name displayed in the front windshield on the passenger side.
3. Cars should pull up to the curb closest to the building.
4. Cones will be placed so that cars cannot pass in the car rider line. Do not pull out of the line.
5. Students will be brought out to the car.
For safety reasons, we are not allowing students or families to cross between car line traffic. If a parent wants to walk to the doors to pick up their child(ren) they need to park in the spots closest to the track and use the sidewalk to walk to the entrance of the building. They will need to use the same sidewalk to walk back to their vehicle.
MCE COVID-19 Information
Roanoke County students and employees will complete a daily home health screening before coming to school or work. You will not need to complete a form or document anything related to the home health screening, this is a precautionary measure.
Upon entering the building, ALL students will be temperature checked. Once the student has been determined to be fever free they can go to class. If the student’s temperature reads as 100.4 or higher the student will be rechecked a few minutes later. If the fever is still present then the student will be sent home.
All students and staff are required to wear a mask or face covering when entering the building, while in the hallways, and in the classroom when 6 feet social distancing cannot be maintained. The phrase, “When you stand up, you need to mask up” will be used to help students remember when to put on their mask. The school is providing lanyards for each student to secure their mask daily. The lanyards are required to stay at school and cannot go home with the student. If a student is not willing to wear a mask they will have the option of remote learning. Students are required to wear a mask on the bus.
Visitors will only be admitted to the building by appointment. Masks will be required in the building. If you cannot wear a mask, then we will offer a virtual meeting or phone conference.
Birthday Treats, Parties, and Gift bags:
Birthday celebrations or Parties cannot occur at school during this time. No outside food (birthday treats) goodie bags, or gifts are permitted at school. The only outside food permitted is the lunch a student brings to school. Fast food lunches are not permitted.
Water fountains will be closed. Students can use refillable water bottles and refill them as needed. The water bottle should come to school each day and only water is permitted in the water bottle.
The only items that students should bring to and from school each day are their backpack, needed school items, lunchbox (if they bring their lunch) and water bottle.
Hand washing and Hand sanitizing:
Students will wash their hand or use hand sanitizer frequently throughout the day.
Only students who have registered to ride the bus will be permitted on the bus. Students will only be allowed on the bus on their assigned days. Students will sit one student per seat with the exception of siblings form the same household, they can sit more than one student to a seat. All students will have an assigned seat and be required to wear a mask on the bus.
We appreciate you cooperation as we try to ensure the safety of all students and staff.
You can contact Tech Support at either 562-3880 or firstname.lastname@example.org
*All students will need a refillable water bottle for school since the water fountains will be unavailable.
5th grade hybrid students return on March 15, middle and high school students return on March 22
Letter calls for parents to show support for new BCAT facility.