The Commonwealth of Virginia has passed a law requiring additional vaccines for students entering 7th grade and 12th grade. These include Tdap, Meningococcal and HPV for students entering 7th grade and the meningococcal vaccine for students entering 12th grade. Please schedule an appointment for your child to have these vaccines before school starts next year and provide a copy to your child's school.
Please see this link or call your school nurse for more information about these requirements: https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/immunization/requirements/.
The Virginia Department of Health is conducting back to school vaccine clinics for 7th and 12th grade students. The clinics are from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. on the following dates at the three schools listed.
- Tuesday, July 27 at Northside High School
- Wednesday July 28 at William Byrd High School
- Thursday, July 29 at Hidden Valley Middle School
VDH representatives will offer the TDAP, HPV and MeningococcalACWY vaccines. No COVID vaccinations will be available at these clinics.
Parents and students can attend a clinic at any of these locations. Parents must accompany their students to give consent.
Parents, it is very important that you bring a copy of your child's immunization record with you to the clinic. After the clinic, please be sure to take a copy of the immunization record to your child's school.
Student health impacts achievement and success. As the health services expert, the school nurse serves as the health professional for the school community and provides the following services:
- Illness, injury assessments and interventions, identification, assessment, planning, intervention and evaluation of student health concerns.
- Health assessments/participation in Individualized Education Plan (IEP) development.
- Training of staff for health procedures such as, gastrostomy feedings, catheterizations, colostomy care, etc.
- Screening for health factors impacting student education.
- Activities and education to promote health and prevent teen pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases, tobacco use and alcohol and substance abuse.
- Chronic disease management and education.
- Individualized Health Care Plans and services for students with disabilities and/or health conditions that interfere with learning
- Medication administration
- Assessment and interventions for students with mental health needs
- Guidelines for school district health policies, goals and objectives
- School/community/health care provider liaison
Information about vaccination opportunites for children
Not sure if you should send your children to school? Here are some tips that can help.