Center for Performing Arts at BCAT
The Center for the Performing Arts is a four-year course of study, which will expose talented and interested students to musical theatre. Students will study Acting, Voice and Dance and have several performance opportunities throughout the course of the year. Please note that attendance at all dress rehearsals and performances is mandatory as part of your training program.
If you are interested in being a part of this unique and exciting initiative, please complete the steps below.
Please read ALL the steps below before beginning the application process.
Applications must be submitted by January 31, 2022 an audition must be performed February 19, 2022 at Burton - no exceptions can be made.
- First, complete the Burton application and indicate Performing Arts as one of your top choices.
- Within a week or so of your Burton application, you will receive the Performing Arts application. Gather the following information prior to filling out your Performing Arts application:
- The selection committee will evaluate your response based on the following criteria:
- Ideas & Content (50%): Does the essay respond to the prompt? Is the essay creative in the response? Does the essay include relevant, detailed elaboration? Does the writer exhibit an understanding of their performing arts area?
- Organization (25%): Does the essay have a strong introduction? Is the essay clearly organized, with well-transitioned paragraphs?
- Conventions (25%): Does the writer use proper writing conventions (spelling, punctuation, capitalization, grammar, etc.)?
- Student ID Number
- Best phone number to reach parent or guardian
- Name of your current school counselor
- Teacher Recommendation #1 – Must be a teacher in a performing arts area. (Collect only the EMAIL ADDRESS of a teacher from whom you would like a recommendation. We will contact the teacher for the recommendation.)
- Teacher Recommendation #2 – Can be any academic teacher. (Collect only the EMAIL ADDRESS of a teacher from whom you would like a recommendation. We will contact the teacher for the recommendation.)
- Teacher Recommendation #3 – Your choice of an additional teacher in performing arts, or an additional academic teacher. (Collect only the EMAIL ADDRESS of a teacher from whom you would like a recommendation. We will contact the teacher for the recommendation.)
- Writing Prompt: "What makes you a good candidate for the Burton Center of Performing Arts? Tell us something about yourself and goals for the future." Please limit your response to 500 words.
- Prepare for your audition.
- Auditions will be held at the Center for the Performing Arts at the Burton Center for Arts and Technology Saturday, February 19, 2022. You will be notified of your specific audition time at a later date.
- Upon receipt of the completed application, an audition time will be scheduled by Rick Elliott, Supervisor of Music and Performing Arts, Roanoke County Schools.
- There will be three parts to the audition: singing, acting and dancing. It is understood that students may not have polished skills in all areas and should not be deterred from auditioning for the program because of this. The selection committee will be looking for areas of strength and potential aptitude.
- Applicants must prepare and stage a song from the Audition's music list on the Center of Performing Arts Website. Please select a song that best suits your voice. The selection must be memorized and limited to 32 bars or less. A professional accompanist will be available on the audition date or you may sing A cappella.
- Applicants must prepare and stage a one (1) minute monologue from the Audition's monologue list on the Center of Performing Arts Website. The selection must be memorized and limited to one minute.
- Applicants will be taught a short dance combination in a group setting to assess skill and potential as dancers (Please note: previous dance training is not required for admission to the program). Applicants must wear attire or bring a change of clothing suitable to learn and perform the dance combination. Suitable clothing includes jazz shoes, ballet shoes or bare feet; leotard, or other fitted shirt; tights or sweat pants. Those applicants with previous dance training may be asked to learn an additional dance combination.
- For out of town students who will be transferring to Roanoke County for the coming school year, please submit your audition packet along with a DVD (or digital file) in lieu of attending the live audition.
- Please follow the guidelines above in choosing your material. Please introduce yourself at the beginning of the recording, sharing with us your name, age, grade, and what you will be performing. In addition to performing a short song and monologue, please choreograph a one minute combination and perform it for the recording. It will be in your best interest to submit as clear a recording (both video and sound) as you are able. Your audition packet, along with the recording, should be submitted to Rick Elliott no later than February 19, 2022.