Roanoke County Library Mission and Vision Statements:
The mission of the Roanoke County Public School Library program is to provide quality learning experiences designed to equip students with the skills to adapt and thrive in a changing global environment. The libraries extend and enhance the classroom experience: a place where students, teachers, and librarians can explore, learn, create, and collaborate. Librarians foster a love of reading and learning in addition to modeling and utilizing current technologies to assist students in becoming proficient and responsible users of information.
The vision of the Roanoke County Public School Library program is to empower students to learn technology and 21st-century skills incorporating collaboration, communication, creativity, critical thinking, and citizenship.
Roanoke County Book Selection Policy:
The Roanoke County Public Schools library program has a book selection policy for our schools that supports the curriculum, incorporates current educational trends, and considers the needs, interests, and diversity of our students. When selecting books for purchase, school librarians consider professional reviews and recommended reading ages.
- Nonfiction books are selected based on accuracy, scope, reliability, format, points of interest, and potential use.
- Materials on opposing sides of controversial issues are purchased so that students may develop critical thinking skills.
- Fiction books are selected based on the needs of the collection, popularity, quality, curriculum-connections, and professional book reviews.
- Recommendations from students and staff members are encouraged and honored when possible.
- Donated books must meet the same criteria as newly purchased books.