American Rescue Plan Act of March 2021 (ARPA)
In March 2021, the American Rescue Plan Act provided $1.9 trillion and included $122 billion for Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER III) to help safely reopen and sustain the safe operation of schools and address the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on the nation’s students.
Scroll to the bottom to see all of the ARPA program grants awarded, including links to detailed reports and the ordinances.
REVISED STAKEHOLDER CONSULTATIONS AND SPENDING PLAN UPDATE PREPARATION - JANUARY 2023
In November 2022, the Virginia Department of Education required School Divisions to re-open the stakeholder input sessions to review the usage of remaining ESSER III spending and to publish an updated Spending Plan. Below is an informational video providing background on the COVID-19 grants awarded to Roanoke County Public Schools. One method used to collect stakeholder input was through a survey.
- ARPA Stakeholder Input Update Overview
- ARPA Stakeholder Input Update Survey (survey is closed)
Below are the meetings that we have attended to mention or present the issue.
- 11/21/22 Roanoke County Council of Parent Organizations
- 11/28/22 Superintendent's Cabinet
- 12/5/22 Employee Advisory Committee
- 12/6/22 School Board Work Session
- 12/7/22 Early Childhood Steering Council Through Ready Regions
- 12/7/22 Special Education Supervisors
- 12/7/22 Student Advisory Council
- 12/8/22 School Counselors
- 12/14/22 Principals
The final culmination of these meetings was presented at the School Board on 1/5/23 and the following are included in the presentation:
The final updated spending plan based on the School Board Approval of spending is as follows:
INITIAL STAKEHOLDER CONSULTATIONS AND SPENDING PLAN PREPARATION - AUGUST 2021
The American Rescue Plan ESSER III includes additional planning and reporting requirements. One requirement is to engage in meaningful consultation with stakeholders and seek public input for the spending plan. The following videos provide some background information.
The following meetings were held to obtain this input.
- 8/12/21 Public Hearing - (no comments)
- 8/16/21 Parent Advisory Council Presentation and Suggestions
- 8/22/21 Student Advisory Council Survey
- 8/23/21 Employee Advisory Committee
- 8/24/21 Principal Meeting
- 8/25/21 SEAC Suggestions
The final culmination of these meetings was presented at the School Board on 8/26/21 and the following are included in the presentation:
** The calculated Per Pupil Cost shown above is calculated based on spending each year divided by the March 31 ADM for that year. Current year spending and remaining budget is divided by budgeted enrollment.