PTA membership is open to anyone who believes in the Mission and Purposes of National PTA. Individual members may belong to any number of PTAs and pay dues in each. Every person who joins a local PTA automatically becomes a member of both the state and National PTAs.
Together we are a powerful voice for children. With your help, we can continue to work toward National PTA's goal of a quality education and nurturing environment for every child.
The Mission of the PTA
- To support and speak on behalf of children and youth in the schools, in the community, and before governmental bodies and other organizations that make decisions affecting children;
- To assist parents in developing the skills they need to raise and protect their children;
- To encourage parent and public involvement in the public schools of this nation.
The Purposes of the PTA
- To promote the welfare of the children and youth in home, school, community, and place of worship.
- To raise the standards of home life.
- To secure adequate laws for the care and protection of children and youth.
- To bring into closer relation the home and the school, that parents and teachers may cooperate intelligently in the education of children and youth.
- To develop between educators and the general public such united efforts as will secure for all children and youth the highest advantages in physical, mental, social, and spiritual education.
The Local PTA
The PTA at the local level is linked to the state PTA and National PTA, forming a nationwide network of members working on behalf of all children and youth.
Because of its connections to the state and National PTAs, the local PTA is a valuable resource to its school community with (1) access to programs to benefit children, youth, and their families, and (2) the recognition and size to influence the formulation of laws, policies, and practices—education or legislative.