It is our goal to develop and maintain financial policies, promote and model good stewardship in financial matters, and prepare accurate financial reports using best practices and compliance with generally accepted accounting procedures and applicable legal regulations.
The Finance department is responsible for guiding the School Division through the budget cycle. The budget cycle is a five-step process to provide every child in the School Division with the best possible educational opportunities while optimizing the use of available resources. The budget cycle includes planning, preparation, adoption, implementation, and evaluation. Please follow the 2024 Reports as we move through the current year's cycle. Additional training is available on the Reports main page.
Accounting and Financial Reporting
The Finance Department is responsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of policies, procedures, and internal controls over financial reporting of the School Division's two accounting systems (one for the division and a separate one for the schools). The Finance Department provides training and other resources for employees so they can perform their duties while being fiscally prudent with the tax-payer dollars. In addition, the Finance Department reviews and approves journal and budget entries; ensures proper account coding of transactions; and prepares monthly and annual reports for the School Board and other agencies.
- Accounting Manual
- D365 SharePoint Resources for central office departments (employees log in using their computer ID and password)
- Bookkeeper SharePoint Resources for school bookkeepers and administrators (employees log in using their computer ID and password)
- Finance Reports In addition, monthly financial reports are submitted to the School Board under the consent agenda and accessible through BoardDocs.
- Parent Organization Resources
The Finance Department acquires and manages insurance and risk management activities (excluding school safety) for the School Division. Employees injured on the job should call Company Nurse as soon as possible to report the injury and, if needed, obtain the name of a panel doctor for medical treatment. The number and code are on the back of the employee badge. Please email Finance if you have any questions about workers' compensation, property damage, student accidents, or need a certificate of insurance.
The County of Roanoke Finance Department processes accounts payable functions on behalf of the School Division for division-level payments. If you have any questions, you may contact County Accounts Payable at 540-772-2020, or via fax at 540-772-2186. Individual School Bookkeepers process invoices and payments for the Activity funds at the schools, please use the "Our Schools" menu on the top left-hand corner of this page to find your school.
Any new vendor, regardless of whether they are for division-level or school-level, will be required to submit a vendor form and a W-9:
The County of Roanoke Finance Department - Purchasing Division processes purchasing functions on behalf of the School Division, with the exception of construction. Please visit their website for additional information. If you have any questions, you may contact County Purchasing at 540-772-2061, or via fax at 540-772-2074.
School resources available:
- D365 SharePoint Purchasing Guidelines for central office departments (employees log in using their computer ID and password)
- Bookkeeper SharePoint Purchasing Guidelines for school bookkeepers and administrators (employees log in using their computer ID and password)
- Please contact Todd Kageals, Director of Facilities and Operations for School Construction purchasing inquiries.
The County of Roanoke Finance Department processes payroll functions on behalf of the School Division. If you have any questions, you may contact County Payroll at 540-772-2020, or via fax at 540-772-2116.
School resources available via Human Resources: