For students in grades 9-12:
For more than sixteen years, Roanoke County Schools has offered online learning for high school students through RCPSOnline Academy. We have developed a rich curriculum, delivered by our teachers, since the very beginning of the program. Our experience with online learning puts us in a unique position to meet the wide range of current needs.
RCPSOnline Academy classes differ from regular classes in several ways. Aside from the obvious lack of face-to-face time in a classroom, they are structured, paced, and scheduled using best practices for online teaching. Some of the key differences are:
- The courses are largely self-paced with deadlines set by the instructor.
- There are no set times a student must be online with the instructor.
- Students have ready access to their instructors for help, guidance, and individual attention.
- Every course is through our learning management system, Blackboard.
- Except for a few dual enrollment courses (with VWCC), and World Language courses, most courses are completed in a semester.
- Some courses, specifically courses with end-of-course SOL tests, do require in-person testing. With these, we offer flexibility of time and place to meet the individual needs of the student.
Students take online courses for many reasons. Schedule conflicts, limited course availablity at a base school, getting ahead or catching up, and even medical issues have all been reasons students have taken our courses in the past.
NOTE: This is an online-only program. Students must have reliable internet access.