- Glen Cove Elementary
Info at a Glance with GCE Quick Facts
Glen Cove Elementary Quick Facts 2021-2022
Address: 5901 Cove Road, Roanoke VA 24019
Phone Number: 561-8135
Fax Number: 561-8164
School Office Hours: 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
School Webpage: https://www.rcps.us/glencove
School Facebook Page: The Glen Cove Elementary School
PTA Facebook Page: Glen Cove Elementary School PTA
Principal: Will Krause
Assistant Principal: Tobie McPhail
Administrative Assistants: Loretta Martin & Brenda Journell
Nurse: Kelsey Roop
Counselor: Theresa Richardson
Special Educ. Coordinator: Alex Michaluk
School Hours: 7:45 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. (the doors will open at 7:20 for car riders)
Office Hours: 7:10 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Parents should go through the car rider line to drop off their student(s).
- Parents should stay in their vehicle throughout the car rider drop off.
- Children being dropped off at GCE should be seated on the passenger side of the vehicle so they can safety exit the vehicle onto the sidewalk.
- We have several staff members assigned to car duty in the morning to expedite the process.
- *If you walk your child to the front door of the building at any time during the day, masks are REQUIRED to enter the building.
Afternoon Car Rider Procedures:
- Car riders will begin dismissal at 2:20 p.m.
- Cars should have the student’s name displayed in the front windshield on the passenger side.
- Cars should pull up to the curb closest to the building.
- Student will be brought out in the car line order based on school specific dismissal procedures. *Please be patient with us for the first few days/weeks as we get this new procedure worked out.
Glen Cove Elementary Return to School COVID-19 Information
Parents should assess their child for symptoms of COVID-19 before reporting to school; and/or may be asked the following by school personnel upon arrival:
YES or NO since my last day in the building, have I had any of the following:
- A new fever (100.4F or higher) or a sense of having a fever since you were last in school?
- A new cough or breathing difficulty that cannot be attributed to another health condition?
- Chills that cannot be attributed to another health condition?
- A new sore throat that cannot be attributed to another health condition?
- New muscle aches (myalgia) that cannot be attributed to another health condition or specific activity (such as physical exercise)?
- Have you been exposed to anyone who tested positive or suspective positive for Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the past 14 days?
If an individual answers YES to any of the screening questions before arriving, they should stay home and not enter the building. The parent should call and notify the school. The school nurse will call the parent back to walk them through an additional assessment and will provide guidance based on VDH guidance.
Masks: All students and staff are required to wear a mask or face covering when entering the building, while in the hallways, and when 6 feet social distancing cannot be maintained. The phrase, “When you stand up, you need to mask up” will be used to help students remember when to put on their mask.
Students are required to wear a mask on the bus.
RCPS will provide masks to students but it would be advisable to send an extra mask to school with your child. Please label masks with your child’s name.
Visitors: Masks will be required in the building. If you cannot wear a mask, then we will offer a virtual meeting or phone conference. Parents are not allowed to eat lunch with their child and we will not have any volunteers assisting the school in any way inside of the building.
Water Bottles: Water fountains will be closed. Students can use refillable plastic or non-breakable water bottles and refill them as needed. The water bottle should come to school each day and only water is permitted in the water bottle.
Daily Items: The only items that students should bring to and from school each day are their backpack, needed school items, lunchbox (if they bring their lunch) and water bottle.
Hand washing and Hand sanitizing: Students will wash their hand or use hand sanitizer frequently throughout the day.
Parent/Teacher Meetings: Parent/Teacher meetings will need to be held via video conferencing or phone. Contact your child’s/children teacher for more information.
Bus: All students will be required to wear a mask on the bus.
We appreciate your cooperation as we try to ensure the safety of all students and staff.